Tuesday 20 October 2009

Text speak or Geek speak?

Everyone knows what I'm talking about it. Those funny but sometimes ambigous abbreviations for phrases. I am certainlly guilty as charged when it comes to using them, and I'm sure you are too! They are so handy for short and quick mssages, that we all have adapted to using them over the years of sitting in front of a keyboard, or texting away with friends. The trouble is, the more you use them, you more likely you start to use them in odd places. I just used one then, "texting", but shouldn't that be a new verb anyway? I remember at times at secondary school, where I used to write "r" and "u" in my English essays without even realising it! Is this just one of those youthful mistakes? I for one am not sure. It hasn't cropped up again since then, but it has appeared in speech. Even today, I have mentioned such terms like "omg" in real life speech and it's not uncommon to recall others doing exactly the same. So who knows, maybe these words could be part of the dictionary one day, but in the mean time, they are stuck in the reserve of technology, so why not "lol" to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment